Hypoxia (disambiguation) - Article Anoxia
Article: Hypoxia (disambiguation)
Hypoxia generically means a low level of oxygen. In different contexts it may refer to:
In the body:
- Hypoxia, the reduction of oxygen in tissues below levels which are considered to be normal.
- Hypoxaemia, the reduction of oxygen specifically in the blood.
- Hypoxic hypoxia, hypoxia resulting from a defective mechanism of oxygenation in the lungs.
- Anoxia the extreme form of hypoxia where there is no oxygen present, an anoxic condition.
- Anaemic hypoxia is a state where the oxygen content of blood is low and the cause is anaemia, a decrease in the amount of haemoglobin in the blood.
- Cerebral hypoxia also cerebral ischemia, is a pathological condition called hypoxic encephalopathy, a hypoxic condition in which there is a decrease of oxygen supply to the brain.
- Ischemia is a medical term for hypoxia where there is a restriction in blood supply, generally due to factors in the blood vessels. Also ischaemia or ischÃ¦mia.
In the environment:
- Environmental hypoxia or oxygen depletion, a reduced concentration of dissolved oxygen in a water body leading to stress and death in aquatic organisms.
- Hypoxic zones, or dead zones, are hypoxic areas in the world's oceans.
- Anoxic sea water is a condition where there is an abnormally low level of oxygen in the sea.
- The oxygen minimum zone is the depth in the sea at which the disolved oxygen level is lowest, or most hypoxic.
- Oxygen saturation is a relative measure of the amount of oxygen that is dissolved or carried in a given medium and is therefore a measure of hypoxia or hypoxic conditions.