Diverticulitis is a common disease of the bowel, in particular the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticulum becomes inflamed. In complicated diverticulitis, bacteria may subsequently infect the outside of the colon if an inflamed diverticulum bursts open. ...

GoldBamboo

... Diverticulitis is swelling (inflammation) of an abnormal pouch (diverticulum) in the intestinal wall. These pouches are usually found in the large intestine (colon). The presence of the pouches themselves is called diverticulosis. ...
Google Health - more...

From the WEST  scientific·clinical

From the EAST  traditional·alternative

Related Treatments

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Symptoms

1-2 of 4   more...
Signs and symptoms
... Diverticulitis can feel like appendicitis, except you''ll generally have pain in the lower left side of your abdomen, instead of the lower right side. The pain is usually severe and comes on suddenly,...
Source: MayoClinic

Causes
... Diverticula usually develop when naturally weak places in your colon give way under pressure. This causes marble-sized pouches to protrude through the colon wall. Pouches are most common in your sigmo...

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Prevention

1 of 1
Prevention
... Some measures can help prevent or slow the progression of diverticular disease: Eat more fiber. High-fiber foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, soften waste material and help i...

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Treatment

1-2 of 2
Complications
... In rare cases, an infected or inflamed pouch may rupture, spilling intestinal waste into your abdomen and leading to peritonitis — an inflammation of the lining of your abdominal cavity (periton...

Treatment
... In general, treatment depends on the severity of your symptoms and whether this is your first attack of diverticulitis. If your symptoms are mild, a liquid or low-fiber diet and antibiotics may be all...

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Other

1-2 of 18   more...
Digestive Diseases and Nutrition: Questions and Answers
... My doctor recommended I talk to a registered dietitian about following a fat-controlled eating plan to control my chronic diarrhea. I don’t understand how changes in my diet can help me. Please explai...
Source: Cleveland Clinic

Laparoscopic Intestinal Surgery: A Guide for Patients
... About laparoscopic intestinal surgery If you need colorectal surgery, you might be a candidate for laparoscopic intestinal surgery, a "minimally invasive" technique for treating colorectal d...
Source: Cleveland Clinic

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Treatment

1-2 of 2
Diverticulitis
... Inflammation of one or more diverticula, potentially leading to obstruction or perforation, and to abscises and fistula formation. Diverticula are small sac like herniations of the mucosal lining of t...
Source: HealthWorld

Diverticulosis
... No one is sure why, but sometimes small sac-like pockets protrude from the wall of the colon. This is called diverticulosis. Increased pressure within the intestines seems to be responsible. The pocke...
Source: HealthWorld

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis Articles

• Colonoscopy
    ... The digestive system Colonoscopy (koh-luh-NAH-skuh-pee) lets the physician look inside your entire large intestine, from the lowest part, the rectum, all the way up through the colon to the lower end ...
  • Digestive Diseases Dictionary
    ... This dictionary defines words that are often used when talking or writing about digestive diseases. It is designed for people who have digestive diseases and their families and friends. The words are ...
  • Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis
    ... Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots, like an inner tube that pokes through weak places in a tire. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. Pouches (plural)...
  • Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
    ... The digestive system Flexible sigmoidoscopy (SIG-moy-DAH-skuh-pee) enables the physician to look at the inside of the large intestine from the rectum through the last part of the colon, called the sig...
  • Lower GI Series
    ... The digestive system A lower gastrointestinal (GI) series uses x rays to diagnose problems in the large intestine, which includes the colon and rectum. The lower GI series may show problems like abnor...
  • Virtual Colonoscopy
    ... Virtual colonoscopy (VC) uses x rays and computers to produce two- and three-dimensional images of the colon (large intestine) from the lowest part, the rectum, all the way to the lower end of the sma...