Heart disease - Article Cardiac Arrest; Cardiac Diseases; Endocarditis; Heart Disease; Heart Disease and the Mind-Body Constitution; Heart Disease, Congenital; Heart Diseases (General); Heart Diseases--Prevention; Heart Infection, Endocarditis
Article: Heart disease
Heart disease is one of a number of different diseases which afflict the heart. The most common heart diseases are:
- Coronary heart disease, the end result of the accumulation of atheromatous plaques within the walls of the arteries that supply the myocardium
- Ischaemic heart disease, a disease characterized by reduced blood supply to the heart.
- Cardiovascular disease, a class of diseases that involve the heart and/or blood vessels (arteries and veins).Implies under this category some popular diseases like: diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Pulmonary heart disease, a failure of the right side of the heart.
- Hereditary heart disease
- Hypertensive heart disease
- Inflammatory heart disease
|Cardiovascular system - Heart - edit|
|atria (interatrial septum) | ventricles (interventricular septum) | valves (chordae tendinae, papillary muscle) |
right heart: (vena cavae, coronary sinus) â†’ right atrium (fossa ovalis) â†’ tricuspid valve â†’ right ventricle â†’ pulmonic valve
left heart: (pulmonary veins) â†’ left atrium â†’ mitral valve â†’ left ventricle â†’ aortic valve
pericardium | epicardium | endocardium | myocardium
conduction system: cardiac pacemaker | Purkinje fibers | bundle of His | SA node | AV node