Acid Reflux; Gastroesophageal Reflux; Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD); Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease; Gastroesophageal ...
Hiatus hernia or hiatal hernia is the protrusion (or hernia) of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) does not close properly and stomach contents leak back, or reflux, into the esophagus. The LES is a ring of muscle at the bottom of the esophagus that acts like a valve between the esophagus and stomach. The esophagus carries food from the mouth to the stomach.
Hiatal Hernia as related to GERD
- Hiatal Hernias and GERD | GERD: GastroEsophageal Reflux ...
Gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD) impacts nearly one-fifth of all Americans and nearly two-thirds of everyone aged 65 and over. Hiatal hernias are a leading ...
- Hiatal Hernia Symptoms: Heartburn, Difficulty Swallowing ...
A primary symptom of hiatal hernia is heartburn. Learn more from WebMD.
- Hiatal Hernia Causes, Picture, Symptoms, Tests, and Treatments
WebMD explains how to recognize and treat hiatal hernias and explains the types including sliding and paraesophageal hernias.
- Hiatal Hernia and GERD - GERD Center - Everyday Health
Hiatal Hernia and GERD A common stomach hernia can cause GERD, but lifestyle changes and medication can help to control symptoms in most cases.
- What are Hiatal Hernias - About.com Heartburn / GERD
Learn what a hiatal hernia is, the symptoms, treatment, and possible complications.
- GERD With Hiatal Hernia & Symptoms | LIVESTRONG.COM
Coughing and Wheezing. In some cases, GERD and hiatal hernias can indirectly cause respiratory symptoms. According to the NDDIC, acid reflux, such as …
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER) and Gastroesophageal Reflux ...
Abnormalities in the body such as hiatal hernias may also cause GERD. Hiatal hernias occur when the upper part of the stomach moves up into the …
- Hiatal Hernia And Acid Reflux - Buzzle
What is the difference between acid reflux and hiatal hernia? Are they one and the same? Scroll down for information on hiatal hernia and acid reflux.
- Anti-reflux surgery: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
This bulging is called a hiatal hernia. It may make GERD symptoms worse. A procedure called fundoplication is the most common type of anti-reflux surgery.
- Hiatal Hernia , Acid Reflux and Gerd - Erik Dalton
Dr. Dalton assesses and treats hiatal hernia and GERD with manual techniques as an alternative to surgery. Learn massage therapy and self-care strategies for treating ...