Syringomyelia (sear-IN-go-my-EEL-ya) is a disorder in which a cyst forms within the spinal cord. This cyst, called a syrinx, expands and elongates over time, destroying the center of the spinal cord. Since the spinal cord connects the brain to nerves in the extremities, this damage results in pain, weakness, and stiffness in the back, shoulders, arms, or legs. Other symptoms may include headaches and a loss of the ability to feel extremes of hot or cold, especially in the hands. Each patient exp...
Syringomyelia as related to Spinal Cord Diseases
- Spinal Cord Diseases: MedlinePlus
Read about diseases of the spinal cord, the bundle of nerves running down the middle of your back. It carries signals between the brain and the body.
- Syringomyelia - NORD (National Organization for Rare ...
General Discussion. Summary. Syringomyelia is a condition characterized by a fluid-filled cavity or cyst known as a syrinx that forms within the spinal cord.
- Diseases of the Spinal Cord - upright-health.com
Diseases of the Spinal Cord. Many neurodegenerative diseases of the spinal cord may share common causes and degenerative processes similar to the neurodegenerative ...
- Syringomyelia (SM) and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
IN SHORT: Syringomyelia (SM) is an extremely serious condition in which fluid-filled cavities develop within the spinal cord near the brain. It is also known as "neck ...
- Syringomyelia Symptoms - Mayo Clinic
Syringomyelia symptoms usually develop slowly over time. If your syringomyelia is caused by protrusion of brain tissue into your spinal canal (Chiari malformation ...
- Anatomy of the Spinal Cord (Section 2, Chapter 3 ...
Figure 3.1 Schematic dorsal and lateral view of the spinal cord and four cross sections from cervical, thoracic, lumbar and sacral levels, respectively.
- Our Health Library | Library - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Information on diseases, conditions, test, and procedures. Biblioteca de salud en español.
- Spinal Cord Injury & Disorders Lexicon - United Spinal ...
The Spinal Cord Disabilities Lexicon is focused on common words and terms related to Spinal Cord Disorders.
- Is there a cure for paralysis, and will ... - Brain and Spinal
This is one of the most often asked questions of survivors of spinal cord injury and their loved ones. After they understand where the injury has occurred and how ...
- Spastic Hemiplegia - Brain and Spinal Cord
Resources and legal help for Brain & Spinal Cord Injury Survivors. Call for legal help: 1-866-611-BASC