Hb S disease; Hemoglobin S Disease; Herrick's anemia; SCD
Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disease in which the red blood cells, normally disc-shaped, become crescent shaped. As a result, they function abnormally and cause small blood clots. These clots give rise to recurrent painful episodes called "sickle cell pain crises."
A tissue with red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and other substances suspended in fluid called plasma. Blood takes oxygen and nutrients to the tissues, and carries away wastes.
Sickle Cell Anemia as related to Blood
- Sickle Cell Anemia - Nemours: Kids Health
More than 70,000 Americans have sickle cell anemia, which occurs when someone inherits two abnormal genes that cause red blood cells to change shape. Find out more.
- Sickle Cell Anemia: MedlinePlus - National Library of ...
Sickle cell anemia is a disease in which your body produces abnormally shaped red blood cells. The cells are shaped like a crescent or sickle.
- Sickle-cell disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sickle-cell disease (SCD), or sickle-cell anaemia (SCA) or drepanocytosis, is a hereditary blood disorder, characterized by red blood cells that assume an abnormal ...
- Sickle Cell Anemia (Sickle Cell Disease) Causes, Diagnosis ...
Read about sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal hemoglobin. …
- sickle cell anemia - definition of sickle cell anemia in ...
autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) an acquired disorder characterized by hemolysis due to the production of autoantibodies against one's own red blood cell antigens.
- Sickle cell anemia: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Sickle cell anemia is a disease passed down through families. The red blood cells which are normally shaped like a disc take on a sickle or crescent shape.
- Sickle cell anemia - National Library of Medicine - PubMed ...
Sickle Cell Anemia. Sickle cell anemia is a serious inherited condition in which the body makes an abnormal type of hemoglobin which causes red blood cells to …
- Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia) Symptoms, Causes ...
Virtually all of the major symptoms of sickle cell anemia are the direct result of the abnormally shaped, sickled red blood cells blocking the flow of ...
- Do You Know About Sickle Cell Anemia? - Nemours: Kids Health
Sickle cell anemia gets its name because a person's red blood cells turn from a doughnut shape into a curved sickle shape. What's a sickle look like?