Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the predominant sugar of milk. This inability results from a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is normally produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into simpler forms that can then be absorbed into the bloodstream. When there is not enough lactase to digest the amount of lactose consumed, the results, although not usually dangerous, may be very distressing. While not all ...
The part of the digestive tract that is located between the stomach and the large intestine.
Lactose Intolerance as related to Small Intestine
- Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lactose intolerance, also called lactase deficiency and hypolactasia, is the inability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and to a lesser extent milk-derived ...
- Lactose Intolerance Diet, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment ...
Read about lactose intolerance, an inability to digest and absorb the sugar in milk. Symptoms include gas, diarrhea, and bloating.
- Lactose Intolerance | Diseases of the Small Bowel | MUSC DDC
Lactose Intolerance. Lactose is a special type of sugar which occurs in dairy products. To be absorbed, the lactose needs to be split into its two component sugars ...
- Lactose Intolerance - National Digestive Diseases ...
Explains the cause, risk factors, diagnostic tests, and management of lactose intolerance. Lists calcium-rich foods and foods that contain hidden lactose.
- What Is Lactose Intolerance - Irritable Bowel Syndrome ...
What is lactose intolerance? Lactose intolerance is a condition in which a person experiences digestive symptoms following the consumption of a dairy product.
- What I need to know about Lactose Intolerance - National ...
Defines lactose intolerance and provides information about its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Lactose Intolerance - Nemours: Kids Health
If you have lactose intolerance, you're not alone. Millions of Americans have the condition. Check out these tips on dealing with lactose intolerance.
- Lactose Intolerance - Colorado State University
Lactose intolerance is a deficit in the ability to digest lactose, and is due to a relative lack of the lactase enzyme in the small intestine.
- Lactose Intolerance Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are ...
What are the sources of lactose in the diet? How is lactose intolerance treated?
- Lactose Intolerance Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Tests
Lactose intolerance means the body cannot easily digest lactose, a type of natural sugar found in milk and dairy products.