Chicken Pox; Varicella-Zoster Virus
Chicken pox, also spelled chickenpox, is a common childhood disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV), also known as human herpes virus 3 (HHV-3), one of the eight herpesviruses known to affect humans. It is characterized by a fever followed by itchy raw pox or open sores.
A component of certain plants, including cayenne and red pepper, used topically for peripheral nerve pain. Also being studied for controlling mucositis pain after chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Chickenpox as related to Capsaicin
- Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus ...
Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, a member of the herpes virus family. The same virus also causes herpes zoster, or shingles, in adults.
- Chickenpox and Shingles - In-Depth Report - NY Times Health
Capsaicin for Shingles. Capsaicin is the substance that give chili peppers their signature spiciness, but it can also affect the body's pain messages.
- Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus) - Penn ...
Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus) Highlights Chickenpox Vaccine Recommendations. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) â€¦
- Qutenza (Capsaicin Patch) for Treatment of Neuropathic Pain
Qutenza (capsaicin patch, 8%) has been approved by the FDA as a treatment for postherpetic neuralgia (post-shingles nerve pain, or PHN).
- News: Capsaicin Patch Eases Shingles Pain | UW Health ...
But a clinical trial of a high-dose capsaicin patch, done at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) and other institutions ...
- Lesson: Varicella Zoster Virus: From Chickenpox to Shingles
Varicella Zoster Virus: From Chickenpox to Shingles. VZV affects patients both young and old. Hereâ€™s how to manage the associated ocular complications.
- Shingles: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Shingles (herpes zoster) is a painful, blistering skin rash. It is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. This is the virus that also causes chickenpox.
- Varicella-zoster virus | University of Maryland Medical Center
The varicella-zoster virus (VZV) can cause two diseases: chickenpox (varicella) and shingles (herpes zoster). Before a vaccine was developed in 1994, chickenpox was a ...
- Shingles Treatment Options - Verywell
Shingles is a painful rash caused by the chickenpox virus. Learn what shingles treatments, including antivirals and corticosteroids, relieve symptoms.